Stringbabies in schools & academies
Many music services & teachers are looking for a well structured approach to teaching stringed instruments to young children in schools & studios, especially in view of the National Plan for Music Education. They want a holistic package that leads to:
- proficient playing
- sight-reading & note literacy
- singing, rhythmic & aural skills
- composition skills
- ensemble skills
- musical/technical development on stringed instruments
- leaves the children eager to learn more
Developed for teaching children in groups and one to one, we have found that the Stringbabies method works extremely well in schools as well as private practice. Obviously there will be differences in style when teaching children in these different environments but the essence is the same and the results are just as excellent.
Stringbabies has been used with success in large and small groups and even for mixed classes of different stringed instruments!
The benefits of Stringbabies are now being experienced by Surrey Arts and Music Cornwall while other music services are investigating the possibilities of using Stringbabies within their curriculum. Teachers have been trained, in-house, in Stringbabies and are already using the system in their schools to great effect.
[Here are links about Stringbabies partnerships on the Surrey Arts and BBC websites - though we are not actually named in the latter. You can phone Surrey Arts directly on 01372 832912 - they are very happy to talk about Stringbabies!. There is also a very nice extended article on the ISM website.]
We are very happy to work with any music service to develop a programme to suite your needs.
Individual schools, conservatoires and studios
Stringbabies partnerships are not limited to music services. Music departments of individual schools & conservatoires and studios are all most welcome to become partners. If your organisation is involved in teaching stringed instruments to children then you should investigate further!
Stringbabies offers clear benefits to teachers and the children alike:
- use of proven structured methodology, with training and materials for teachers and for parents
- enjoyable for teachers and pupils
- children learn to play, sing, compose and sight-read conventional music notation without fuss
- children have a great foundation for moving on musically
- helpful for some special needs children
Feedback about Stringbabies in a partnership
Yvonne Rees: Surrey County Council Strategic Director for Customers and Communities - “The children learn so much during Stringbabies’ lessons, both musically and personally. Stringbabies offers potential life changing opportunities for children providing developmental skills at such a young age, through fun and enjoyable activities that encourage children’s personal and social skills, fine motor skills and musical development. I really enjoyed watching the session - it made me feel both humble but also inspired to learn and play an instrument. Keep up this inspirational programme”.
What we offer
We are pleased to offer a Stringbabies partnership scheme that is appropriate for music services and for music departments. The scheme is run on a per teacher basis. You decide how many staff will require training. We offer:
- on-site training days - at a venue of your choice
- books at significant discount
- use of the Stringbabies trademarks in your literature/websites for agreed school[s]
How to implement a Stringbabies program
Stringbabies can be examined and then introduced gradually, as you become convinced of its value. Here is how it can be undertaken by a music service:
- start with an introduction day to see if Stringbabies suits your teachers - you can discuss how it works and how to implement Stringbabies in the school[s].
- if you decide to go ahead, we have a suitable legal agreement ready for use.
- implement a pilot study at a single school.
- implement at multiple schools [if appropriate].
All the information about partnerships is available as in PDF format. Please contact Kay to be sent a copy.
How to proceed
Please feel free to contact Kay to discuss any aspect of Stringbabies and partnerships.