Surrey Arts: Guildford
Surrey Arts (Surrey County Council) provides arts education and experiences in Music, Dance, Drama and Visual Arts. In the Music Team alone, over 15,000 pupils in 220 schools learn instrumental music every week, on a wide variety of orchestral and contemporary instruments, through the expert tuition of its 300 professional tutors.
Surrey Arts also leads over 50 performing ensemble music groups. These range from area ensembles for beginner and intermediate levels through to county ensemble groups for advanced players. Many of the ensembles take part in overseas tours and perform in prestigious venues, including the Royal Albert Hall and the Barbican.
Surrey Arts is the lead organisation in the Surrey Music Hub, and alongside Stringbabies, there are a number of organisations working in partnership to ensure Surrey’s young people are receiving high quality instrumental music opportunities.
To follow and get in involved with Surrey Music Hub, like us on Facebook and follow @SurreyMusicHub on twitter now! For detailed updates on the Hub’s activities and how you can be involved, sign up to the Surrey Music Hub e-newsletter.
Surrey Arts details
Contact: Laura Griffin
Teaching and Learning Manager
14 The Pines, Broad Street
Phone: 01483 519303 [Surrey Arts South East Operations Team]
Internet: website for Surrey Arts
Facebook: Surrey Music Hub
Schools in partnership using Stringbabies
- Badshot Lea Village Infant School, Farnham, Surrey
- Furzefield Primary School, Redhill, Surrey
- Hale School, Farnham, Surrey
- Hawthorns School, Bletchingley (ind), Surrey
- Hazelwood School, Oxted, Surrey
- Limpsfield CofE Infant School, Oxted, Surrey
- Nutfield Church (C of E) Primary Scchool, South Nutford, Surrey
- Peaslake School, Peaslake, Surrey
- Potters Gate CofE Primary School, Farnham, Surrey
- Puttenham Church of England School, Puttenham, Guildford, Surrey
- Reigate Parish Church School, Reigate, Surrey
- Sayes Court Junior School, Addlestone, Surrey
- Surrey Hills C of E Primary School, Surrey
- St Francis Catholic Primary School, Caterham, Surrey
- St John’s C of E Primary School, Caterham, Surrey
- St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, Redhill, Surrey
- St Martin’s CofE (controlled) Primary School, Dorking, Surrey
- St Peter’s RC Catholic Primary School, Leatherhead, Surrey
and the list is growing!
There is a very interesting review on the ISM website, about the first year of this partnership. Starting with three schools, Stringbabies is now in eighteen, with162 current students, with more planned.
Comments from Surrey Arts about Stringbabies
Yvonne Rees: Surrey County Council Strategic Director for Customers and Communities - “The children learn so much during Stringbabies’ lessons, both musically and personally. Stringbabies offers potential life changing opportunities for children providing developmental skills at such a young age, through fun and enjoyable activities that encourage children’s personal and social skills, fine motor skills and musical development. I really enjoyed watching the session - it made me feel both humble but also inspired to learn and play an instrument. Keep up this inspirational programme”.
Alex Golden: Music teacher, Furzefield Primary School - “It’s been fantastic having Stringbabies at Furzefield. The children love the interactive sessions and we’re so pleased to be able to offer another opportunity for children to succeed and feel great about their learning. There’s a real feeling of excitement round the school.”